As part of the “Digital Competence for Youth” program, coordinated by the Independent Media Arts Alliance, Ada X (fka Studio XX) is looking for an interactive media developer.
The internship project is the collaborative development of an interactive web platform dedicated to Ada X’s educational activities.
Deadline to apply: November 3, 2020
Start date: Week of November 16, 2020
Ada X is a bilingual feminist artist-run center engaged in exploration, creation and critical thinking in media arts and digital culture. Ada X supports the production and dissemination of work by women, trans, non-binary and queer artists. In 2008, we launched an online archival project, Matricules, a database of more than 5,000 documents (texts, audio and video files, images) that acts as a multimedia record of our history. Matricules demonstrates the links between three central facets of our organization: art, feminism and technology. In 2016, we implemented a first redesign of the site, moving to WordPress. We have also updated the site by developing thematic search functions, to facilitate access for the general public and for researchers, visible here: https://www.ada-x.org/matricules. Now, we want to increase access to these archives again by integrating links to our educational activities, alongside developing a new online interactive space for our publics – families, schools, community groups, and others.
Under the responsibility of the Coordinator of Mediation, Archives and Networks, and in collaboration with the Ada X team, the intern will be called upon to actively participate in the development process of the new web platform dedicated to the center’s educational activities. The internship will primarily consist of tasks listed below.
– Determine and review overall requirements of the new interactive platform according to the models and content designed by the educational team and the graphic designer;
– Assist in the development of the platform architecture and determine the software requirements;
– Organize information for integration and design the structure, layout and data flows of the platform;
– Develop animations according to predefined specifications for the website or interactive application;
– Write, modify, integrate and test software code for the website or interactive application;
– Design and optimize sites according to current usability and accessibility standards;
– Test and perform quality and security checks.
Ada X operates with a horizontal governance structure and encourages collaborative work within its team. Projects are carried out in working groups, and each person contributes according to their skills, interests, and roles. The intern will be supported and guided by various team members as needed, as well as working with external project partners including Koumbit (web host), who provide technical support on demand, and the contractual graphic designer who will collaborate on the development of our educational graphics. Staff and board members use several digital platforms to facilitate our collaborative work; the intern will be trained in the use of these platforms.
Requirements / skills sought:
– University or college education relevant to the internship;
– Experience with WordPress;
– Experience in PHP development and MySQL databases;
– Knowledge of best practics for user experience;
– Bilinguilism (French/English);
– Demonstrated commitment to intersectional feminist and anti-oppression efforts;
– Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
– Interest in contemporary media arts.
Eligibility criteria for the program. Candidates must:
– be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the internship;
– have completed a post-secondary degree;
– be legally entitled to work in Canada;
– be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person granted refugee status in Canada;
– not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits during the internship;
– self-assess as underemployed, i.e. employed outside their field, in a position which does not match their educational qualifications, or in part-time jobs;
– have not already completed an internship in a Career Focus Youth e-Skills program.
Internship Terms and Conditions:
– Location: 4001 Berri, space 201, Montreal AND online in the current context (a computer can be provided)
– Remuneration: 20$/hour
– 28 hours per week / 36 week contract
– Start Date: Week of November 16, 2020
The recruitment process for Ada X is open and transparent in accordance with our hiring policy and is overseen by the Board of Directors. Ada X exists in its current form largely due to the work and contributions of artists, employees, members and collaborators who are racialized, disabled, queer, trans and/or non-binary. Recognizing the knowledge that comes from the lived experience of these individuals, candidates who self-identify in this way will be prioritized.
To apply, send a letter of intent and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before November 3, 2020 with the subject line Application | Interactive Development. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Digital Skills for Youth Program is coordinated by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and funded through Human Resources Development Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy (YES) program. The Independent Media Arts Alliance acts as the delivery agency for Quebec.